Links to DIA WebsiteWhat type of establishment do you have?Applications and Information
Food Service Establishment InformationMeans a food establishment where food is prepared or served for individual portion, service intended for consumption on the premises or is subject to Iowa sales taxFood Establishment License Application
Retail Food Establishment InformationMeans a food establishment that sells to consumer customers food or food products intended for preparation or consumption off the premises. Items not subject to Iowa sales tax.Food Service Establishment Application covers Restaurants, Retail and Mobile Food Establishments
Mobile Food Unit InformationMeans a food establishment that is self-contained, with the exception of a grill or smoker, and readily movable, which either operates up to three consecutive days at one location or returns to a home base of operation at the end of each day.Basic Requirements for a Food Establishment Information
Home Bakery InformationMeans a business on the premises of a residence that is operating as a home-based bakery where potentially hazardous bakery goods are prepared for consumption elsewhere. Annual gross sales of these products cannot exceed $35,000. “Home Bakery” does not include a residence where food is prepared to be used or sold by churches, fraternal societies, or charitable, civic or nonprofit organizations. Residences which prepare or distribute honey, shell eggs or nonhazardous baked goods for pick-up by the customer (no delivery or shipping) are not required to be licensed as a home food establishment.Home Bakery Application
Vending Machine InformationMeans a food establishment which is a self-service device that, upon insertion of a coin, paper currency, token, card or key, dispenses unit servings of food in bulk or in packages without the necessity of replenishing the device between each vending operation. Vending machines that dispense only prepackaged, non- potentially hazardous foods, panned candies, gumballs or nuts are exempt from licensing but may be inspected by the department upon receipt of a written complaint. “Panned candies” are those with a fine, hard coating on the outside and a soft candy filling on the inside. Panned candies are easily dispensed by a gumball-type machine.Application to Operate Vending Machine
Farmers Market InformationMeans a marketplace which operates seasonally, principally as a common market for Iowa-produced farm products on a retail basis for consumption elsewhere.Farmers Market License Application
Hotel/Lodging InformationBuildings or homes used or advertised to the public as a place where sleeping accommodations are rented to temporary or transient guestsHotel License Application

Single Event Temporary Food
Establishment License Application

  • Must be received at least 3 weekdays prior to the event for processing and approval.
  • Valid for and operational period of no more than 14 consecutive days in conjunction with one event.

Annual Temporary Food Establishment License Application

  • Annual license that is valid in the County for which it is issued. A separate license application must be submitted for each county where a vendor will operate a Temporary Food Establishment in conjunction with an event.
  • Persons who operate simultaneously at more than one event within a county are required to have a separate license for each food stand.
  • ** Annual Temporary Food License Application not received, processed, and approved prior to operating will require a single event temporary food license until the annual license is approved and issued.

Event Registration License Application

  • Must be received from the Event (coordinator, host, or responsible party putting on the event) a minimum of 60 days prior to the event.
  • An Event Registration is not required for an event having 10 or fewer temporary food vendors, a fair, or a farmers market

Helpful Information and Guidelines

All License Applications must be filled out completely. Applications not filled out properly will be returned and will delay the processing and approval times.

ADLM Counties Environmental Public Health
  • A separate license must be applied for each location where production, sales or service take place.
  • Temporary Food Establishment licenses are non-transferable between locations or ownership.
  • Penalty fees will be assessed if the application is not received, processed, approved, and issued prior to the event.
  • The approved license will be mailed to the address provided.
  • The temporary food stand operator is responsible for bringing the license and displaying in the food stand within the public's site.

Once your forms are filled out, please visit our contact page to send the form directly to us. After sending the form, payments by credit card can be taken by the phone. Please give us a call to make payments.